Mooring Release Technology
The RAR Plus builds on 40 years of proven acoustic release technology with some key new features and represents the industry’s preferred mooring release. With 500+ deployments and successful, non-assisted releases, the Rig Anchor Release (RAR) technology is proven and reliable. Used every day by many of the world’s major operators and drilling contractors, the RAR Plus has saved millions of dollars and reduced NOx and Co2 emissions for our customers.
The new mechanical backup release method ensures the ability to release the moorings in the unlikely event that the remote acoustic transmission fails to actuate the RAR. The mechanical backup release bypasses the acoustic, electronic, and hydraulic systems in the RAR Plus, and it can be actuated by either the rig itself or with a nearby support vessel providing 100% redundancy in the system.
A releasable mooring system utilizing the RAR Plus is the most efficient mooring solution available for MODUs today.
Benefits of a Releasable Mooring System
- Maximizes rig move efficiency for significant cost savings (less than 2 hours to disconnect a rig and transit instead of days)
- Allows rigs to quickly evade storms, ice floes, or well emergencies eliminating the risk of mooring failure in severe events
- Provides substantial cost savings on rig moves by reducing quantity of AHTS vessels, reducing AHTS vessel time, and maximizes AHTS vessel weather window opportunities
- Reduces HSE exposure time for AHTS vessel on-deck personnel
- Reduces CO2 emissions through operational efficiencies during rig moves
Advantages and Features of RAR Plus
- 500+ deployment and release track record
- Proven and reliable acoustic technology and design
- Independent mechanical backup release for ultimate reliability
- DNVGL and ABS certified for 907 tonne Minimum Break Load (MBL)
- Robust shell and locking mechanism will withstand repeated wear & tear
- Release load rating of 360+ tonnes allowing for disconnection at higher line tensions
- Flexible surface-controlled selective release of individual line, groups of lines, or all lines simultaneously
- 36-month+ battery life while deployed
- Trigger-sleeve nesting capability for faster rig disconnects that are not dependent on AHTS support vessels